Transfer credit refers to those courses taken at an accredited institution before matriculation at Penn. Students should post those courses to XCAT as early as possible and carefully monitor any requests.
Elementary and Intermediate Language Courses (French 0100 - 0400 Equivalents)
- Enter your request for transfer credit via XCAT using your PennKey and password. Be sure to include your course materials (syllabus and detailed course description, including the number of contact hours per week and the length of the course; occasionally tests, quizzes, and compositions may be requested).
- Schedule an appointment with the Undergraduate Coordinator to take the transfer credit examination, a 60-minute multiple-choice exam taken at Penn which covers grammar, vocabulary, and reading comprehension. There is no oral or listening comprehension component.
- You may NOT take the online placement examination as a substitute for the department's transfer credit exam.
- Based on your transfer credit examination score and your course materials, the Language Program Director will determine whether or not you will receive credit for the equivalent level at Penn. In the message that you will receive, you will also be given information regarding French placement if you plan to continue with French either to complete your language requirement or to enroll in 1000-level courses. You will also see the department's decision on your XCAT account by clicking on "list your requests."
Advanced Language Courses (above French 0800)
- Enter your request for transfer credit via XCAT using your PennKey and password. Be sure to include your course materials (syllabus, detailed course description, tests, quizzes, compositions).
- The Undergraduate Chair will use your course materials from XCAT to determine whether or not to award credit for the equivalent level at Penn. You will see the department’s decision on your XCAT account by clicking on “list your requests.